Easy Three Ingredient Fruit Smoothies
I love smoothies, and I love going out to certain smoothie joints and ordering their yummy smoothies BUT smoothies do not have to be complicated and full of 18 different ingredients to be delicious and nutritious. With just THREE simple ingredients (yes THREE) you can have the perfect smoothie at home every time.
I am really going to make a go of it this time. This time, I am going to stick to a healthy eating plan and lose some of this weight that is dragging me down and causing havoc on my joints! Earlier this week, I purchased everything I need to make simple and affordable three ingredient smoothies: bananas, frozen fruit and apple juice.
You will need:
- Fresh Bananas (always affordable, less than $3 for a large bunch)
- Frozen Fruit – (600 g bags of Great Value (Walmart) Frozen Fruit are $3.97) (1 bag makes 3-4 large (and thick) smoothies )
- Apple Juice (Great Value 1.89 litres is $2 + deposit/fees = $2.37 in Alberta)
Take about 3/4 of a cup of frozen fruit (any variety), 1/2 cup of apple juice and 1/2 of a sliced banana for each small/medium smoothie. Double the ingredients for a large one! Use a blender, or an Immersion Hand Blender, and blend until smooth. That is it! Adjust the amount of juice and/or fruit to get your desired consistency (for thicker smoothies you can add ice if desired)! My son prefers his smoothies made with milk, and I prefer mine with apple juice.
You can experiment with the amount of fruit you use to create thicker or thinner smoothies depending on your preference! More fruit means a thicker smoothie.
Our favourite combinations are:
- any kind of berries + banana + apple juice
- blueberries + banana + apple juice
- peaches + banana + milk
- strawberries + peaches + milk
- mango + banana + apple juice
Instead of apple juice, try using milk, coconut milk or coconut water, almond milk, or orange juice! The best thing about smoothies is how versatile they are, and all you need is three ingredients!
To make a simple four ingredient smoothie, add in 1 serving of yogurt with the other ingredients.
Other great 3 ingredient smoothie ideas:
- Black Forest: 1 cup chocolate milk, 1 cup frozen cherries, 1 serving vanilla or cherry yogurt
- Orange-Banana: 1 cup orange juice, 1 serving vanilla yogurt, 1 banana
- Key Lime Pie: 1 banana, 1 cup milk, 1-2 tbsp lime juice
- Pina Colada: 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 banana
- Berry-Melon: 1 cup mixed berries, 2 cups fresh watermelon, 1 serving any kind of berry yogurt
- Strawberry-Banana: 1 banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup milk
- Avocado Green: 1/2 avocado, 1 banana, 1 cup milk
- Tropical Green: 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1 cup coconut milk, 1 cup fresh spinach
- Berry Green: 1 cup any kind of berries, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 cup milk
Quick, simple, and affordable! What is your favourite fruit to add to a smoothie?
Andrea resides in Calgary, Alberta, and is the proud mom to five boys between the ages of 7-22. Running mainly on coffee and sarcasm, in her spare time she enjoys listening to Canadian Rock, watching Calgary Flames hockey, reading YA Dystopian novels, and binge watching 90s television on Netflix.
Need social media management? Looking for an enthusiastic ambassador for your brand? Connect with me to discuss potential collaborations at amomsperspectives AT yahoo DOT com.