Mix Breakfast Cereals Your way with Mix It!
Never hear them say NO to breakfast again!
Breakfast should NOT be a fight but often it is. In my house, breakfast is loud and busy and chaotic and stressful! Something as simple as choosing what to have for breakfast can turn into a huge fight, and that is not the way to start the day. This is most true for my 9 year old (who is going on 16). He’s moody, he’s miserable, and he fights with me about breakfast. Not occasionally. Not once a week. He fights me every single day. Every. Single. Day. I don’t want breakfast time to be difficult. Breakfast time should be full of little moments together to start the day off on the right foot, and this is where Mix It steps up to the plate and lends a helping hand.
Mix It can help mornings be good again by providing cereal that they WANT to eat; by providing a cereal that they have created themselves; by providing a cereal they can’t say no to. Seriously. Never hear them say NO to breakfast again!
A Brief Timeline of Mix It
- In June 2015, Mix It started. It owned by a Canadian family, cereal is produced in Canada, and ingredients and materials are sourced locally when available. Canada first!
- November 2015, Mix It attended their first exhibition, the Vegan Show in Montreal. They served 1500 samples of their cereals!
- December 2015, Mix It became a finalist in the DUX (“DUX is a program that aims to motivate and mobilize initiatives that contribute to improving the health of young people and their families through food.”)
- October 2016, Mix It appeared on The Dragon’s Den (Season 11, Episode 1). If you missed it, you can watch their appearance here!
What makes Mix It stand out?
- NO additives!
- Many of the ingredients uses are organic.
- 90% of all ingredients have no added sugar!
- The fruit is freeze dried, all natural, no added additives, no chemicals, just REAL fruit.
- Cereal is personalized to YOUR tastes! Create a mix that works for you.
- You can choose your packaging from 8 different fun designs: yellow, fox, blue, kids, green, bird, rabbit or pirate!
- YOU get to NAME your cereal! Mix It TRULY is a unique experience!
- Packaging is recyclable, AND reusable! The tubes make great little containers for crayons, building blocks, other small toys, etc.
- As a family run business, the customer service is beyond excellent!
Since Thomas is my creative snacker, and my most adventurous eater, I let him create the cereals we were going to order (with guidance of course). We created a cold cereal and a hot cereal, he named them, and he picked the packaging. He named the cold cereal after his favourite Pokemon character, and when naming the oatmeal his sarcastic personality shined brightly. I was very proud. My children are not always sarcastic, but when they are I know I’ve done my job (they come by it naturally, I run off sarcasm and coffee myself).
The website was VERY easy to use. The most difficult part was narrowing down the ingredient choices! The formula is simple. Cereal Base, Dried Fruits, Nuts & Seeds + Extras.
Cereal Base: With 11 different bases ranging from Granola and Oatmeal to Corn Flakes and Fiber Boost, there is something for everyone. You can even “widen the base” with the addition of Soya Flakes, Quinoa Flakes, All Bran, Gluten Free Corn Flakes, or Millet Seeds for added variety and flavour.
Dried Fruits: With 20 different varieties of dried fruit, the possibilities are almost endless. They have your traditional berries: blueberries, raspberries, cranberries, raisins and strawberries. There are also bananas, apples and oranges. Mango, papaya, and diced fig are also options.
Nuts & Seeds: There are 15 varieties of nuts and seeds available to add to your cereals. Seeds include flax, chia, hemp and sunflower seeds. Nut choices are walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts, cashews and more. They even have coconut flakes!
Extras: Here is where you really get to add the finishing touches to your made just for you cereals. Coconut Palm Sugar, cocoa beans, lemon powder, matcha tea and cinnamon are found in this section. You would like vanilla? They have it. Hemp protein powder? Yup, they have that too. Organic Maple Chunks? Its there. They even have white chocolate flakes and dark chocolate semi-sweet flakes.
With so many choices, the possibilities are virtually endless. There were just so many great ingredients to choose from that it was really difficult narrowing it down to only a handful, but with perseverance we managed to create a couple of really delicious cereals that are custom made for us!
For our cereal, Thomas picked Corn Flakes as his base. To that he added dried fruit (strawberries, blueberries and raspberries), cinnamon, and of course chocolate flakes. “You can’t have the perfect cereal without chocolate!”
For 50g serving (without milk), Thomas’ cereal has 130 calories.
He named is Charizard Food, after his favourite Pokemon character. It SMELLS amazing, and Thomas immediately grabbed a bowl and helped himself. He gives is 4 thumbs up, it was that good. We will have to place another order later this month as this tube will not last him long at all.
Thomas decided to name our oatmeal mix Gruel, so Gruel it is. To our oatmeal base we decided to add raisins, walnuts, pecans, quinoa flakes, maple chunks and cinnamon.
The oatmeal is made with quick rolled oats, which makes it fast and easy to prepare. There were not instructions, so I just used the same method I always use for making quick oats. I like my oatmeal thick, so I used 1/2 cup of Gruel to 3/4 cup of water, and microwaved on high for about 1 1/2 minutes. As I always do, I added a little bit of milk before eating.
The oatmeal was really good, and there were LOTS of nuts which made it extremely satisfying. I love how there is no sugar added, so I can control the amount of sugar that I use. Oatmeal by nature is quite bland so with my next bowl I will add a tsp of brown sugar to sweeten it up a little bit (just a personal preference). As is, without added sugar or milk, a 50g serving has 200 calories which makes for a hearty, satisfying, long-lasting start to the day.
Savory Crispy Fruit
We were also sent a tube of freeze dried fruit, one of the newer things that Mix It is working on, to help promote healthy snacking. I have to say, this was REALLY good! We can add additional fruit to our cereal and oatmeal, to other store bought cereals, or eat the fruit on its own. There is no added sugar, preservatives, nothing. Its just fruit, and the freeze drying process makes it melt in your mouth. These would be excellent in a muffin recipe, to add to ice cream, or anywhere else that you would typically add fruit.
My 19 year old liked the strawberries best, but my favourite are the raspberries. They are tart, full of flavour, and absolutely delicious.
What we loved:
- Thomas was VERY excited, and asked about 12 times each day when his cereal would arrive. The day it did arrive (only a few short days after we ordered, shipping was VERY quick) he was over the moon. He couldn’t wait to try out his creations!
- I LOVE that the nutritional information on the back of the cans is based on a 50g serving and not the traditional 28g serving (which in my experience is too small for most people).
- I love the packaging. The tubes are super creative, and we will be reusing them, but its great to know that they are recyclable as well. The patterns are fun, and they don’t take up the same space as a traditional rectangle box making the cupboard a little cleaner looking and easier to find what the cereal we want.
- The shipping time was REALLY fast, and I received a Canada Post tracking number plus email updates regarding my shipment.
- Honestly, we loved EVERYTHING about Mix It. Creating the cereals were fun, and eating the cereals are even better.
- I also love that there are ready-made mixes available!
Mix It is available to order online. If you are in the Montreal area, local pick up is available. For everywhere else in Canada, they ship through Canada post. Delivery starts at only $2.99, and is free with the order of 4 or more tubes!
You can also find Mix It on social media!
A Mom’s Perspective has Partnered with Mix It to bring you the opportunity to win ONE (1) $20 Voucher so you can create your own personalized cereal mix!
The Prize: FIVE (5) Canadian Winners will each receive a $20 MixIt.ca voucher
There will be FIVE (5) Winners
Eligibility: CANADA only
End Date: February 27, 2017
All Mandatory entries must be done for the extra (optional) entries to count.
ALL entries are checked and will be validated.
Winner(s) will be randomly selected using the Giveaway Tools random selector and notified via email.
Andrea resides in Calgary, Alberta, and is the mom to five boys between the ages of 6-22. Running mainly on coffee and sarcasm, in her spare time she enjoys listening to Canadian Rock, watching Calgary Flames hockey, reading YA Dystopian novels, binge watching 90s television on Netflix, and entering contests.
This giveaway is hosted by A Mom’s Perspective and sponsored by Mixit.ca. A Mom’s Perspective is not responsible for prize fulfillment.
Disclosure: I received samples from Mix It. for testing and review purposes. Opinions in this post are honest, and my own, and have not been altered or influenced in any way.
For Full Rules, please see our Giveaway Rules under the Policies & Terms tab found here.
Need social media management? Looking for an enthusiastic ambassador for your brand? Connect with me to discuss potential collaborations at amomsperspectives AT yahoo DOT com.